Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day 14



The Road Home
Day 14
            As I write this last log of wonderful trip, I am full of knowledge, friendships, and respect that I didn’t have before this trip. I gained so much knowledge of the Native American communities and their past and present struggles. Each tribe we met or heard about include the Warm Springs, Yakima Nation, Celilo Village, Spokane Tribe, and Coeur d’Alene tribe have their own laws, government, and agencies to ensure their survival of their culture and traditions. The future doesn’t tell us a lot but what we do now, in the present can only ensure the ways of Native ancestors to be provided to the next generations of tribal members.  The future isn’t lost, not yet it hasn’t gone away. The friendships I built with tribes will only grow as I will return to volunteer or perhaps even for them in the future.
            As for the other students and teachers that came along this trip, I built a bond with them much like a older to some and a goofy younger brother to others. I wish them the best in lives and nothing should ever be taken for granted. If you’re reading just be away that you are my friend and you can contact me for advice or any favors that a brother can do. Good luck out there. As for the teachers, director, and chaperone, you fellas and ladies are great and don’t ever give up doing this. This trip has opened doors for the youngsters and motivated them to work with the tribes or out in nature. It’s been a great time and I won’t trade this experience for anything else. I like to thank the following people: Dr. Jessica Black for being my mentor and providing me this chance to come aboard, Dr. Leonard Black for providing a fun experience and his chocolate chip pancakes, Mrs. Griselda Black for being a caring mother on the trip, Monet for being the best driver ever, Mr. Arnett for taking time to talk about tribal law, Celilo Village for providing us a place to stay, Paul Lumley for being a powerful figure and providing words of encouragement, Oregon Forest Service for taking time to show us how the service works and providing job opportunities, Warren Sailor and the Spokane Tribe for providing a place  to stay and being a welcoming host for us not to mention getting us into Midnite Mine, Dave Matheson for paying for our Coeur d’Alene expenses and giving us his words of wisdom, Heritage University board of education for providing us a chance to contact and build relationships with the surrounding tribes and I do see this as a good way to introduce students to STEM careers and enforce educational pursuits. 

      Thanks again for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment